T-Mobile has set in place multiple requirements necessary to complete an unlock request. Fortunately, the requirements are very simple and similar to most other carriers.
Requirements to unlock your T-Mobile phone:
- The device must have been purchased from T-Mobile or an authorized dealer, and activated on the T-Mobile service network
- The device must be fully paid off with the account in good standing
- Fewer than 2 SIM unlock codes per line have been requested in the last 12 months
- The device unlocking is requested for has been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days.
- If you are under a service contract, payments have been made for at least 18 consecutive months or you have paid a migration fee. There are some exceptions which Customer Care can detail if desired
- On prepaid plans, at least $50 of refills must have been paid on the device
- Former customers requesting an unlock must have a zero account balance and no line was ported out which is associated to the device during the buyer’s remorse period
- Your proof of purchase if T-Mobile is unable to verify purchase
If you meet the above requirements for unlocking a T-Mobile device, you must then call customer care by dialing 611 from the device to be unlocked, or 1-877-746-0909. Make sure you have ALL of the following information on hand when you call as it is needed to complete the unlocking process.
If you are missing any of this information, you will have to call back and start the process over from the beginning.
T-Mobile Unlocking security question data you’ll need:
- Phone number of the main account holder
- Account password (if there is one)
- Last four digits of the account holder’s social security number
- IMEI number. This can be found by going to Settings > General > Aboutor by dialing *#06#
For more information on unlocking a T-Mobile phone, visit T-Mobile’s online unlock support document.